Thursday, June 6, 2013

Wrestling

Something I thought more than usual about  this week is wrestling with God in prayer. I LOVE that portion of Scripture where Jacob wrestles the Angel. When the Angel tells him to let to because the sun is coming up (at which point I'm thinking, "Why are you concerned about the sun?" then I briefly think of Twilight, laugh, and turn my thoughts back to the story), Jacob stubbornly replies, "I will not let you go unless you bless me." (Genesis 32:26 NLT). I love that, mainly because that is something I would say; not that I could see myself wrestling an angel or God, but verbally I have had more than a few "wrestling" matches with Him, letting Him know that I expect more from Him than what I currently see. Initially, these were demands made from a hurting and selfish heart. Now-a-days, they are more so declarations of faith. "I know You have more in mind for me, God. So despite how I feel and how much I do not like this view, I am asking and trusting You for better." I no longer have the desire to go head to head with God with my normal complaints. Every day I come to better understand that He is fully aware what's going on in my life; therefore, there's no need to throw a hissy fit.

Another a part of this story that I love is the verse above the aforementioned one.
"When the man saw that he would not win the match, he touched Jacob’s hip and wrenched it out of its socket." (Genesis 32:25 NLT)
Even after Jacob was wounded, he didn't let go. He was going to fight until he got what God had promised him. Again, I'm not suggesting we turn into toddlers whenever things don't go our way, but I also don't believe when things get hard God wants us take matters sitting down. He wants us to bring our hearts to Him and lift up our concerns with thanksgiving and prayer (Philippians 4:6).

I love how honest I can be with God. I'm learning how to respect Him more and not just say whatever I feel without recalling With Whom I am speaking; I am learning honesty with Wisdom. I am also learning how to thank Him for His goodness when I do not feel particularly good. No matter what, He's still God; His Word stands strong underneath all kinds of pressure, awkward, and uncomfortable situations and people.


"Only I can tell you the future before it even happens. Everything I plan will come to pass, for I do whatever I wish." (Isaiah 46:10 NLT)

No comments:

Post a Comment