Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Christmas Break Goal Day 2- Veggietales, MacLarry and the Stinky Cheese Battle



I was trying too hard to get something out of this one. It wasn't until I relaxed and enjoyed it that an exchange between MacLarry and the Roman emperor caught my attention. MacLarry had spent his entire life living in the shadow of his father, Chog Norrius, always told that he needed to be like all of the other Baber-barians who spent their time pranking their rivals, the Romans. Although MacLarry was a great little inventor, he was horrible at pranking, so he eventually went to find someone who would appreciate him for who he was. In the middle of this episode, MacLarry had a conversation with the emperor of Rome, who told him that people like to be made to feel special. Although Larry later finds out that he was being tricked by this emperor, at that particular time he was able to hear the words he always wanted to hear from his father.
Who doesn't want to feel special, to know that, just as they are, they are accepted and valuable? I think about how, earlier, I asked my brother to sign a picture that he had given to me. I asked him for his autograph since it was his artwork, and without intention I caught a look of joy on his face at the opportunity to sign his work. In that moment he felt special, without having to ask or put forth extra effort just to be noticed.
Just like Chog Norris had the power to build-up or tear down his son, so do we have the same power. I know I personally do not take all of the chances I have had to build up the people in my life, and I regret that. But thankfully, by God’s grace, I have the chance everyday to encourage others.

On another related, and shorter, note, I want to encourage those who are like me: Every time you hear a compliment, you cringe and have the insatiable desire to run away screaming and hide under a rock. I understand. Stop it. I know that it’s awkward, you may not be used to it, you’re afraid your pride will become inflated and you’ll plummet out of the heavens to your death… but chill out. God says so many beautiful, positive, and encouraging things to His children in His Word, and most of the time we do not even deserve it. But if our Father speaks over us such loving truth, then I believe He intended for us to do the same for others… and others for us. I know it may not be easy, but I know from experience that if you ask, He will help you to receive verbal affirmation with joy and peace :)

No comments:

Post a Comment